Thursday, January 22, 2009

What the President and a Bucket of Water Have in Common

It's crunch time for my presentation preparation, so this will be brief.  Today is one of those days that I wish I had a camera.  If I did, you would see two pictures (and someday will when I update this post).  They would/will be as follows:

a) A meeting I attended was in a conference room that apparently followed another meeting that had a seemingly fancy spread.  Well, spreads can only get so fancy in a room with one entire wall that is a white board. That is, unless someone wanted to break free from their fancy meeting and illustrate their emotions with dry-erase pens as a form of art-therapy ice breaker.  Draw how you are feeling when this fancy spread is in stark contrast to your laboratory coat covered with chemicals and biological waste (hopefully from the lab).

I was prompted to think about this when, upon entering the room with a leftover fancy spread, I noticed a wine glass full of vinaigrette salad dressing.  Clearly, the meeting was a hoot.

b) The lab in which I work has some instruments that use water (and other hazardous chemicals) that is recycled and then replaced every several weeks.  Our current labeling system for these containers of water is very thorough, detailed, and carefully worded.  We typically write "H20. Changed 1/20/09."  Therefore, on Tuesday (Inauguration Day) I couldn't resist writing instead: "H20. Changed (President and H20) 1/20/09."  I have yet to inform my coworkers that we will now be recycling that same bucket of water for the next eight years.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Funny! We also got the "salad dressing in a wine glass" left over on the 5th... it was odd!
Tyler it's getting better by the day! I'm glad you're keeping the blog up daily...
Monica