Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year

On this first day of the year, I am considering a 365 project. I have only recently discovered this concept and I'm fascinated.  365 projects are most commonly year-long photographic journeys.  A Google search for "365 project" will present the homepage for Photojojo and their proposal that we take a picture every day, post it, and write about it.  

I have been following one particular photographic 365 project by a fellow Massachusetts resident.  You can see his work here at www.annoyinglyboring.com.  It's wonderful to follow one person's life in pictures.  And his pictures are almost always great.  

I have also started following a blog called The Daily Asker (www.thedailyasker.blogspot.com) in which the writer practices the art of negotiation everyday and blogs about her experience and the results.  I love these projects and I'm very impressed with their dedication and photographic and writing skills.

My quick searches online show that there are a lot of 365 projects, but few last the whole year.  I have been thinking about starting my own 365 project.  Unfortunately, I'm not very good with the camera and I'm too reserved to negotiate every day.  Besides, I'm worried that my time is too limited not to miss a day.  But, I have been considering projects that would be fun, interesting, and yet not too time consuming.

I considered a project that would satisfy my curiosity about the world and other bloggers.  Each morning, I would open my blog in Blogger and select "Next Blog" which takes you to a blog that was literally just updated.  I would read the blog's most recent posts, leave a comment or email, and write about who I met and what I learned that I didn't already know before I navigated there.  Thoughts?

Alternatively, my neighbors and coworkers have proposed that I bake them each an apple cake every day of the year.  Although I'm flattered that they like my apple cake, I think I might die from the amount of cinnamon sugar I might inhale over time.

Instead, perhaps I should first try a year of writing on this blog.  As mentioned in the header, I find humor in life every day.  I just need to write about it, regardless of how much (or how little) time I have to write it.  I'm going to try.  That is unless you want to see my tour of the internet, one blog at a time.  Or you want apple cake.  In which case, I will still find a way to make every day interesting.

Happy New Year!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I feel honored to be mentioned in your blog and that there is still hope for a cake a day. Though, you are right, it wouldn't be good for any of us, both the baker and the consumers.

Your ideas about 365 projects are neat and I wish you the best in what you choose to pursue. I enjoy reading your posts and look forward to many more in 2009.

J Trent Adams said...

All Ihave to say is... Where's my cake?! Don't make me come down there and hassle your chipmunks.

Anonymous said...

What do you mean "ALMOST always?"

just kidding.

Happy New Year!

I like the new blog a day, you might find a few gems and at the very least you will make some folks happy with the random visits.

Thanks for following my journey - I will start anew on Feb 2. I guess I am a 365 lifer now.
Oh,and don't be shy - pop in and leave a comment now and again - I am a sucker for the comments!

Tyler said...

Lynn- Thanks! We'll see about the apple cake.
PG - Haha. Not sure why I wrote almost, because I truly do think they are all great. Honestly, I think it was the result of bad editing. Thanks for stopping by. I will continue to follow yours, and will start leaving comments too!

Roxana said...

Hi Tyler,
It was great fun to discover your blog! Thanks for mentioning The Daily Asker, and I look forward to following your adventures.
Happy New Year,
Roxy

Tyler said...

La Roxy - Thanks for stopping by and reading. As you know, I enjoy your blog a lot.