Sunday, February 15, 2009

Seafood Dinner for Your Sole Mate

Again, I am disappointed that I did not have a camera with me when humor presented itself to me.  Our digital camera is relatively bulky, so I must buy a smaller camera or just take the two minutes it will require to purchase online the appropriate USB cable to download pictures from my phone.  In the meantime, I will rely on words alone.

Yesterday, I went to the grocery store while the kids were napping in the early afternoon.  The front of the store was abuzz with happy love-struck shoppers buying flowers and candy at a display setup by the store designed and strategically placed so as to lure customers and their wallets straight into the vortex of Valentine's Day.

Adjacent to this pit stop of love, was a sign advertising meal ideas for the perfect Valentine's dinner.  When I upload the picture, you will see how well it was written and organized.  For now, I will share with you the exact text in no particular order.

Visit our Meat + Seafood
for great buys for the perfect
VALENTINE dinner

Surf + Turf

Porterhouse + T-bone steak
$4.99/ lb

Jumbo EZ Peel Shrimp
$6.99 / lb

Crab Classics
Imitation Crabmeat
But 1, Get 1
FREE!

Van de Kamp's
Frozen Seafood
Buy 1, Get 1
Free!

Would anyone else have found this funny, or does my mind truly work in unique ways?  I literally stopped in my tracks and started laughing to myself when I realized the humor in this sign.  Dear reader, does this happen to you as often as it happens to me?  It's ok if the answer is 'no', because I am here to hopefully evoke a smile or laugh in the otherwise mundane things in everyday life.  If your answer is 'yes', perhaps we could start a support group. 

Ok, I'll admit that the sign as it's written is not funny at all. 

However, I couldn't help but read this and imagine the unwritten message in this advertisement.  If I were to rewrite this poster, it would involve a lot of rewording to instead make the following statements which are otherwise read between the lines (at least by this inner humorist). I couldn't help but add one item to the menu as well.

Planning the perfect
VALENTINE'S dinner?

Here are a few dinner ideas
designed to send the right message
to your dinner date.
Find these items on sale
in the meat and seafood departments.

Is your relationship WELL DONE?
Then put a fork in it.
Porterhouse  + T-bone Steak

Is your lady NOT WORTH the real stuff?
Or do you think she's been faking it?
Crab Classics
Imitation Crabmeat

Want your girl to know she's COLD?
Van de Kamp's
Frozen Seafood

Want to get LUCKY tonight?
Try something suggestive.
Jumbo EZ Peel Shrimp

Found your perfect MATE?
New England Sole.

1 comment:

J Trent Adams said...

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is the reason Tyler doesn't work for a marketing company.