Tuesday, February 17, 2009

I'm Sorry, But My Car Ate My Key

As you might know already from a previous post, I'm purchasing a new car.  One of the things that prompted this decision was the rapid deterioration of my Subaru.  It's fixable, but we decided to put the money into a new car instead of sinking it into the old one.  

I mentioned the deterioration, which can be binned into three categories listed below in order of severity (highest to lowest).

1) Broken cupholder.  First of all, Subaru once had the brilliant idea to put the cupholder precariously positioned in front of the temperature control buttons and air ducts and over the radio.  Surprisingly, the radio has survived however the climate control has taken a java beating.  The buttons stick and I once had cold air conditioning blowing on my feet during my whole ride into work one December morning.  As if this wasn't bad enough, the whole cupholder unit would come out of the dashboard if it wasn't handled carefully.  Eventually, I took the whole thing out and found more creative ways to prop up my morning coffee.  I did learn quickly that one's winter hat is a great thing to use in a makeshift coffee holder device. Until there's spillage.

2) Something about oil leaking from unreachable parts of the bottom of the car.

3) A noise from the front left axle that has evolved over the last few months.  It started quietly and innocently, like a brush on canvas.  It has since become a sound that my wife describes as "an airplane landing on top of the car."  This noise is pretty bad and I'm convinced that it's dangerous.  I haven't seen flames yet, but I occasionally smell burning metal.

It is this last issue that has me most concerned about using the car as a trade-in for my new one.  How can I get the most value for the car, yet leave the dealership before they drive the car?  Even prior to that, how do I get the car onto the lot without a salesperson hearing me land.  Do I confess or play dumb?  Regardless, it's been on my mind a lot lately.  Which is why I couldn't help but laugh this morning.

Today, I got a call that my car will arrive tomorrow.  Just as I finished listening to my voicemail from the dealership, I pulled into the parking garage at work.  Because my life can never be easy, the key got stuck in the ignition.  I couldn't get it out, no matter how hard I tried.

Just my luck.  I envisioned driving the car to the car dealership with the key stuck in the ignition.  How in the world would I make my quick getaway without mentioning the fact that the key is stuck in the car?

This evening when I got in my car, the key came loose.  It's still not clear what the issue was this morning.  I think it was a cruel trick by the used car gods.

The car only has to make it one more day.  I hope I can get out of the driveway tomorrow morning.

No comments: