Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Crossing Gaurd

This morning, I nearly rear-ended the car in front of me. I was fiddling with my new CD instead of watching the road. Mea culpa, mea culpa. When I looked up, I was quickly approaching the car in front of me. I slammed on the brakes and the tires squealed. I'm awake now and my Starbucks craving was displaced by an aversion to near-death.

I expected the unexpected this morning as kids, parents, and teachers were adapting to their new schedules on this first day of school. However, I was running late because of my own son's "first day" event and was surprised that I ran into trouble. But, as the traffic let up and I approached the next intersection I noticed the source of disruption. A crossing gaurd was apparently.... crossing the street. She was walking very slowly away from the intersection and with a limp no less. Was this poor planning or does the crossing guard need one of her own?

No comments: