Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Clover

This morning, I was accosted by an over-caffeinated Starbucks employee.

"Want to try coffee in high def'?"

"High def'?" I asked.

"Not deaf, as in not hearing," she replied with a giggle.

"Thanks for the clarification."

"It's the best coffee you will ever taste. And it's a single cup brew, so it's extremely hot. Please try it."

I held the small dixie cup, half full of scalding hot coffee from "The Clover." After a few minutes, I tried it. It was good coffee, that's for sure. Is it worth the extra dollar or so? Definitely not. Granted, I didn't take the time to lighten and sweeten as I typically do with my coffee. Therefore, I will probably try it again and most likely pay for it with a gift card.

In the meantime, I will pay less for my version of "basic" coffee while I wait for the HD version to come down in price. Hopefully that will happen before I start to see commercials warning the general public that "basic" coffee will soon be unavailable. Perhaps it will show a countdown in days, minutes, and seconds along with a doomsday picture of cafe patrons looking puzzled as the contents of their coffee cups unexpectedly disappear. "Don't be caught without high def."

No comments: