Thursday, March 12, 2009

Medicine For Kids Living a Double Life

Like every medicine, Children's Benadryl Allergy medicine has it's warnings clearly labeled on the box.  I read it carefully this evening as I considered waking my daughter (age 2) to give it to her to treat alleged hives.  Two warnings seem to contradict themselves, and they are as follows:
  • Marked drowsiness may occur.
  • Excitability may occur.
I'm pretty certain that the above statements contradict themselves.  So which is it?  Is it an excited drowsy experience or a drowsy excited one?  Regardless, it's clearly going to be marked.

I will also add that the Children's Benadryl warnings suggests that "when using this product":
  • Avoid alcoholic drinks.
  • Be careful when driving a vehicle or operating machinery.
In case you are wondering, I decided not to wake my daughter to give her the medicine.  She had just arrived home from a long day at the monster truck rally where she was competing in the Under-6 category (booster seats and modified brake and gas pedals are standard), but lost because of her alcohol consumption.  People thought that she was on Children's Benadryl because of her marked drowsy excitability, when in fact she was simply a drunk toddler.

2 comments:

Marsha said...

Yea, what's up with those medicine warnings. "May cause constipation or diarrhea." Are they just covering all the bases cuz they don't really know WHAT it will do to a person?

Tyler said...

So true Marsha! Thanks for stopping by. I hope you will visit again.