Thursday, August 21, 2008

Keno Anniversary

Keno marked a milestone on Thursday. I can't remember what it was exactly, but it was one of the following:

1 millionth game
1 millionth winner
1 millonth convenience store to close as the result of loitering Keno addicts keeping normal people from ever reaching the front of the line to purchase their tree-shaped car fresheners and Skittles.

To celebrate, I plan to carve out 10 hours of my day to visit a packie and try my hand at Keno. I would sit hunched over a small card table between the stale bread and chewing tobacco. I'll chain smoke. Well....ok, thanks to Massachusetts laws, this is not going to happen. Instead, I will simply talk as if I have been a chain smoker since the age of 5. Every now and then, I'll mumble to myself and occasionally slam my hand on the table and yell "Damn Keno! Back in '82 I won $100 and they've been screwing with me ever since! Today is not my lucky day. NOT MY LUCKY DAY!!!!"

Okay, so maybe I won't. But, wouldn't it be fun?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like this. I can imagine being in this Keno salon, aka convenience store on Main St. in Waltham when reading your description. It was a bit of a scary place and I, as a naive newbie to MA was just checking out places close to home. I think you do a good job at describing the place and the clientele.