Thursday, May 28, 2009

Fingertips, Class of 2009

My new work computer is an IBM Thinkpad laptop. This model has the option of using your fingerprint to enable it's biometric security. Personally, I'm disappointed they aren't yet using the retina scan for laptop security. I'm looking forward to the day when I can laugh at everyone (and myself) leaning over to line eyeballs up within centimeters of a screen-mounted vision system. While peering into my monitor in public places, I would comment on all the amazing things I could see inside.

When I log on to my fancy pants computer, I occasionally get prompted to "Log in to enroll your fingertips." Never in my life did I expect my fingertips to be so important. They need to be enrolled. They're all grown up, my fingertips. Today, I couldn't help but imagine a day in the future when my fingertips would don caps and gowns at biometric security graduation. I'm so proud, I'm getting all choked up.

2 comments:

Mom et al said...

Wow, I thought I was all shnazzy with my T61 ThinkPad. But it had no prior interest in my fingertips, and now it just looks sadly wanting.

veganf said...

You clearly have an uber cool computer...and mine looks like something out of the original series of Star Trek in comparison!

And to answer your question on my blog--I graduated SU in '92, though I was rather young, so we're probably about the same age. I was only there from '90-'92 after transferring from a college in MA.
I miss having season bball tickets!

- Krista